Why should I perform preventive maintenance?
There are many reasons why your AC system freezes up. Making sure the air filter isn’t dusty and airflow isn’t lowered are the only tasks you can safely fix without professional help. If you need to install a new filter, you can accelerate the defrosting process by switching off the system and switching on the fan.
If you have a heat pump, you can switch it to heat mode until the ice has disappeared. After the ice melts, turn settings back to normal. If your equipment freezes again, get in touch with The AC Therapist to fix the problem. Here are a couple other other reasons why your system could be freezing up.
- Not enough refrigerant
- Filthy evaporator coil
- Broken blower motor or relay
We know how to recover refrigerant without a machine and more to solve these issues. Booking regular AC maintenance can help you bypass this problem. Our technicians will meticulously examine and clean your unit, which typically allows us to notice minor issues before they cause major troubles.
How to troubleshoot my system before calling The AC Therapist?
- Make sure the breaker is on.
- Make sure the disconnect box next to the air handler and the condenser is also on.
- Make sure your thermostat is in cool and fan automatic, and lower the temperature below the room temperature.
- Check for water in the float switch. If there is water in the float switch use a vacuum to remove all water from the drain line.
- Call us at (813) 548-5699if the problem repeats.
How to Troubleshoot Your AC Before Calling Us:
Although at The AC Therapist we offer Free Estimates, we always recommend you follow these quick and easy steps to save time and money on your HVAC problems.
- Make sure your air conditioner breaker is on.
- Make sure the disconnect box (small electrical box) next to both the indoor air handler and the outdoor condenser is turned on.
- Check that your thermostat is in the correct settings for your needs. We recommend you keep the fan mode to Auto.
- Check the float switch (PVC cup next to the drain line, with 2 black wires coming out of it), there should not be any water inside of it. If there is connect a shop vacuum to the exterior exit of the drain line and suck out as much as you can, then pour bleach or white vinegar down the drain. Monitor until there is no more water in the float switch.
- If not cooling well, hose the exterior coil with water. Low pressure, do not use any strong force to clean the coils. Also, check the ductwork for leaks and try to repair them.
Why is my air conditioner blowing warm air?
- If you’re having issues with your air conditioner blowing hot or warm air there are a couple of issues that could be happening. Some Common Symptoms Include: 1) Freon Leak 2) Broken Fan Motor 3) Bad Capacitor.
Why is my air conditioner so loud?
- a) Excess debris in the unit b) Untightened screws & bolts c) Weak Compressor d) Dirty fan blades If you notice any unusual noise, call us before the issue gets worse.
Why is my air conditioner leaking?
- Water could be coming out of your air conditioning system for many reasons, including: a) Cracked or missing drain pan b) Clogged drain line c) Clogged air filter A float switch would prevent the unit from spilling water, we always recommend having a float switch.
“If you ever need service for your AC, this is the place to call. The owners are SUPER nice, professional, quick and great knowledge on air conditioning etc. I recommend them with my eyes closed. They are the best!!!”Maria T.